- There are an estimated 1.1 trillion tonnes of proven coal reserves worldwide. This means that there is enough coal to last us around 150 years at current rates of production.
- Coal reserves are available in almost every country worldwide, with recoverable reserves in around 70 countries. The biggest reserves are in the USA, Russia, China and India.
- Renewable energy is not expensive.
- Renewable energy is big enough to power the whole world.
- Renewable energy can supply electricity 24X7.
- Our infrastructure can handle renewable energy.
- Renewable energy is not bad for the environment.
In India, coal is expected to stay for at least the next 30 years due to its abundance and cost advantage. In the meantime, we have a family of technologies called Carbon capture and storage (CCS) that can help.
Technology, however, doesn’t solve everything.
How do we make this transition in a humane way? What about the lives that are dependent on the fossil fuel industry? Iron & Earth is led by oilsands workers committed to incorporating more renewable energy projects into our work scope.
Shout out: Thanks, D, for suggesting this topic! :)