The world is phasing out fossil-fuels, old polluting vehicles, plastic products, toxic substances, nuclear power, biofuel, incandescent light bulbs, ozone depleting substances, waste imports, second hand clothes, food waste, and ivory trade. These are either gradual phase outs or immediate bans. So, who exactly is phasing out what?
Who is phasing out fossil-fuels?
- 20 Companies Pledge to Phase Out Coal
- Finland to introduce law next year phasing out coal
- United Kingdom Will Phase Out Coal-Fired Power Plants By 2025
- Italy is phasing out coal too
- Canada, UK and the Netherlands Commit to Accelerate Coal Phase-out
- 19 Countries Vowed to Phase Out Coal. But They Don’t Use Much Coal
- China’s Fossil-Fuel Phase-Out Fails to Alarm Big Oil Investors
- LA to study costs, health benefits of phasing out oil drilling
- Trudeau’s ‘phase out’ oilsands comments spark outrage in Alberta
- Global Coal Plant Tracker (GCPT) has completed the first global survey of coal phase-out plans by coal plant owners and political entities
- City of Vancouver votes to ban natural gas by 2050
- WWF-Canada pushes global shipping community to ban HFO in the Arctic
- Pollution from coal-fired electricity generation will be phased out by 2030 under the Climate Leadership Plan in Alberta, Canada
- New York City just declared war on the oil industry
- Environment ministry in India restricts imports of petroleum coke for users in Delhi region
- Germany looks to phase out coal
Who is phasing out old polluting vehicles?
- India is pushing for ‘mandatory’ phasing out of old trucks, buses
- Scotland is planning to phase out sale of new petrol/gasoline & diesel cars by 2032
- Toyota Just Announced a Deadline for the Phasing out of Gas Engines
- Paris Officially Says It’s Phasing Out All Non-Electric Cars
- Diesel and petrol car sales are set to be phased out in the UK by 2040
- VW CEO proposes phasing out diesel subsidies to focus on electric vehicles
- Porsche could phase out diesel engines
- China moves towards banning the internal combustion engine
- Volvo, betting on electric, moves to phase out conventional engines
- Indian Railways will completely phase out diesel locomotives in the next five years and will switch to electric locomotives
- 13 cities that are starting to ban cars
- California might ban combustion-powered vehicles
Who is phasing out plastic products?
- McDonald’s phasing out foam packaging this year
- City of Powell River Vancouver staff are investigating options to phase out plastic water bottles
- Ireland is phasing out of all single-use, disposable plastic products by 2020
- Supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths have announced plans to phase out single-use plastic bags
- Weatherspoon, a famous pub chain to phase out plastic straws
- Plastic bags will be phased out of all New World supermarkets in New Zealand by the end of 2018
- Tesco in the UK to trial a phase-out of single-use 5p plastic bags
- Plastic microbeads are now banned in the UK
- Phase-wise plastic ban from Jan 26 2018 in Goa, India
- Canada officially bans products containing plastic microbeads, after United States, United Kingdom and Ireland. Sweden, Finland, France, Iceland, Luxemburg and Norway also plan to ban or limit the production and import of microbead products
- The First American City to Ban Plastic Water Bottles
- Scotland Just Introduced a Ban on Plastic Cotton Buds to Help Protect Marine Animals!
- Throwaway plastics would be banned in Scotland by 2030
- Pizza Express in the UK bans plastic straws in support of Evening Standard campaign
- Taiwan Sets Aggressive Timeline to Ban Straws and Other Single-Use Plastics
- Chile prohibits the sale of single-use plastic bags in 102 coastal villages and towns
- Kenya introduced a serious law that slaps a fine or even a jail sentence on anyone who manufactures, sells or even carries a plastic bag
- McDonald’s Is the Latest Restaurant to Ban Plastic Straws
Who is phasing out toxic substances?
- Globally, efforts are being made to phase out or restrict the use of BPA in thermal papers
- New Zealand is being urged to follow the European Union (EU) and phase out the use of amalgam fillings for children and pregnant or breast-feeding women
- The UN report urged two solutions: “phasing out dangerous pesticides” and an international treaty for the regulation of “highly hazardous pesticides.”
- Europe delays phasing out ‘probably carcinogenic’ glyphosate herbicide as farmers, scientists say it is safe
- McDonald’s to phase out critically important antibiotics in chickens to help fight superbugs
- China plans to phase out another 12 highly toxic pesticides within five years
- Regulations proposed to end use of asbestos in Canada
- US giant retailer Walmart has revealed a list of eight “high priority chemicals (HPCs)” that it has been targeting to phase out from products on its shelves
- Maine adopted a phase out of all flame retardants in upholstered furniture, while Rhode Island banned the use of organohalogen flame retardants—the same class identified by the CPSC—from bedding and furniture. San Francisco also banned the use of flame retardants in upholstered furniture
- The Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection introduced a policy to ban the use of the firefighting foams containing PFOS and PFOA
- Health Canada holds off on neonicotinoid ban
- Canada’s plan to phase out antibiotic use in livestock by 2017
- Environment Canada has yet to act to ban PERC
- The northern Indian state of Punjab has moved to ban 20 pesticides
- Quebec announces restrictions on honeybee-harming pesticides
Who is phasing out nuclear power?
- Germany’s plan to phase out nuclear power
- South Korea’s president says will continue phasing out nuclear power
- Switzerland votes to phase out nuclear power
Who is phasing out biofuel?
- Divided on biofuel phase-out in EU
- European Commission’s proposal to gradually phase-out first generation biofuels by 2030
Who is phasing out incandescent light bulbs?
- California is phasing out incandescent light bulbs to switch over to more energy-efficient light bulbs
Who is phasing out ozone depleting substances?
- Worldwide phase out of HFCs (Kigali Amendment)
- India has identified an approach to phase out hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) in buildings
- European retailers behind schedule on HFC phase-out
- The EPA has ordered a phase out of the Freon by the year 2020
- Pakistan is in process of phasing out hydrofluorocarbons
- UN likely to provide $540 million to developing countries for phasing out ozone-depleting chemicals
Who is phasing out waste imports?
Who is phasing out second hand clothes?
- Trade lobby urges East African countries to extend phase out time for ban on used clothes
- Kagame speaks out on US threat over used clothes ban
- Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Burundi announced their intention to phase out imports of secondhand clothing and shoes from western countries by 2019
Who is phasing out ivory trade?
- Hong Kong to ban ivory trade by 2021
- China says it will phase out ivory trade in 2017
- EBay backs EU ivory ban
- Japan’s inaction on illegal ivory exports threatens Chinese ban, report says
Who is banning food waste?
Who is banning deforestation?
4 thoughts on “Who is phasing out what”
Great work, Anuja!
Most news stories are doom and gloom and create a false narrative. Lots of progress is happening. I don’t understand the ban on second-hand clothes, however. Makes no sense. Just a weird kind of narrow-minded protectionism.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Phase outs are a way of saying we want to change something and for good. The ban on second hand clothes is a choice the country has taken in order to boost local industry. We are looking at a developing country that’s trying to develop.