The reasons why we need green spaces are various, whether they are indoors and outdoors, but with real plants and trees:
- Psychology: People are happier with trees around them. Trees provide a lot of health benefits.
- Refreshing: Trees purify the air we breathe. They bring down pollution and improve air quality.
- Bonds people: It brings us all together. Green spaces are shared by everyone – poor, rich, black, white, brown, any caste and creed. It fosters friendship.
- Safety: Green spaces makes a place more accessible to vulnerable groups such as women, senior citizens and children.
- Energy: Trees conserve energy, they give us shade.
- Urban heat island: Trees help reduce the creation of urban heat islands, an urban area that is significantly warmer than its surrounding areas.
- Water: Trees are a natural water filter. They act as mini reservoirs for storm water runoff. They retain water that would otherwise erode the land.
- Habitat: Trees provide a habitat for species in an urban area. They increase biodiversity if planted the right way.
- Noise: Trees act as a noise buffer.
- Business value: Green spaces are aesthetically pleasing, they add a feel good factor to cities. This increases the value for businesses as well as homes.